Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Peruvians listen to some bad American music...

So I woke up this morning to the sounds of some really bad '80's american music.  Peruvians don't know the words to these songs but they must love the sound of them because they are played all the time.  It must be somewhat similar to us (in the states) listening to bad reggaeton or other music from these countries, but they love boy george, and many others much worse than that.  I'm not able to pick out exactly who the bands are, but I can tell it's in english and it's gotta be from the 80's....music around here is more like.... http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=eVZHsc34icQ ....if that doesn't work youtube grupo cinco te vas, it's the first hit.

But Peru has much more to offer than their music, this country is amazing.  The people are extremely friendly, seem to be quite understanding of my bad spanish, and the scenery is amazing.  I'll be trying to get some more pics up soon.  We are living in a neighborhood near the training center, they split our group of 47 into 4 different barrios.  Ours is quite active, we have a soccer game involved in a tournament with a game tonight...in 20 minutes actually.  Luckily everything starts late around here.  This barrio is quite accustomed to a couple gringos wandering around because the peace corps often uses it to house volunteers.  This first struck me when my host mother after knowing me for less than an hour left her 8 year old son with me to go on a walk with some other gringos while she headed back home.  The level of trust they have for others is amazing.  

Ahora my spanish ain't all that great, but I really think this is the best way to learn, as hard as it is at times.  We had 4 hours of spanish class this morning, followed by lunch, and a couple hours of lectures for our health positions, then followed by an hour of spanish tutoring and whatever other spanish I speak with my family, at the soccer game, on the way home, chatting with kids, etc.  It's slow going, but poco a poco I think it's all falling together.  

I'm gonna wrap this up, got some e-mails to check and gonna try to put some pictures up as well, they can be found at http://gallery.me.com/rjohara/100020 ...at this time it's easier to post there than facebook...I'll get to that later...

1 comment:

Pat and Family said...

Ryan:
It was good to hear you made it to Peru safe and sound. I read both of your posts and it sounds like you are enjoying yourself. Keep us up to date with your travels and let me know if we can help in anyway. As Pete would say, "write when you get work".

Pat and Family